Friday, February 18, 2011

The Blossoming Time of Year

The buds on my espaliered apples and my May Pride peach tree are the first to wake to the warm Spring sun. Walking through my orchard this morning reminded me of a favorite poem from my grade school days. It seem appropriate to share it with you on this beautiful Spring day.




I sit in the shadow of apple-boughs,
In the fragrant orchard close,
And around me floats the
scented air,
With its wave-like tidal flows.
I close my eyes in a dreamy bliss,
And call no king my peer;
For is not this the rare, sweet time,
The blossoming time of the year?





I lie on a couch of downy grass,
With delicate blossoms strewn, 
And I feel the throb of Nature's heart,
Responsive to my own.
Oh, the world is fair,
and God is good,
That maketh life so dear;
For is not this the rare, sweet time,
The blossoming time of the year?




I can see, through the rifts of the apple-boughs, The delicate blue of the sky, And the changing clouds with their marvelous tints
That drift so lazily by.
And strange, sweet thoughts sing through my brain,
And Heaven, it seemeth near; 
Oh, is it not a rare, sweet time,
The blossoming time of the year?

Horatio Alger




6 comments:

ann said...

No blooms, buds, or sprouts here yet. Lovely photos. cheers. ann

Boho Farm and Home said...

Great pictures! We are two peas in a pod you and me. :) Have a great weekend drinking in the coming of spring! xo Caroline

Anonymous said...

Dear Jill, What beautiful springtime images and complemented by such a lovely poem. It is indeed a most wonderful time of year...so much hope for the seasons ahead. In the UK, signs of spring are still rather limited and here in Hungary, where I am at present, temperatures are still sub zero!

Thank you so much for becoming a follower of my weblog. I look forward to our keeping in touch over the year.

Masha said...

How nice to see blossoms on trees! Spring is beginning here too.

I am happy to see rose pictures on your sidebar. I love roses too, and grow over 100 of them. It is so nice to meet another person who enjoys roses.

Lylah Ledner said...

It's a beautiful poem Jill and the pictures are wonderful! You garden blog is a nice respite spot. I love it!

Sweet Life Garden said...

So nice of all of you to stop by, I love hearing from you. I hope you have some sweet days in the garden this spring!