Friday, June 17, 2011

Robbie's Date and Chocolate Chip Cake

  We have an amazing local food source just down the street and around the corner. The highly prized, little beauties are called Black Sphinx Dates. They are a plump, tender, dark mahogany date, known for their creamy, caramel and honey flavor. These rare and wonderful dates that have been pollinated, bagged and harvested here in the Phoenix area since the early 1920"s. The majestic date palms line the streets of the Mountgrove neighborhood, the only remaining location in the U.S. where the Black Sphinx date now grows. As a local gardener, orchardist and lover of amazing food, I feel it's pretty important to support each other in preserving what food sources we have available in our communities. Today's post is just that... please go to our Neighborhood Garden site to learn more about some of the issues that the Mountgrove neighborhood is facing concerning this local wonder! 

Just so you know, these date are highly nutritious, delicious and versatile. Mountgrove resident, Robbie Shaw shared her fabulous date recipe with us here.
Robbie’s Date and Chocolate Chip Cake

Preheat oven to 350
Serves 12
1 C chopped Dates
1C boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
MIX THESE INGREDIENTS AND LET STAND. THEN:

MIX IN SEPARATE BOWL
1C sugar
1 C salad oil
1 ¾ C flour
1 Tbls. Cocoa
2 fresh eggs beaten with a fork
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

ONCE BLENDED WELL FOLD IN:
The Dates
1 C chocolate chips
½ C walnuts or pecans

GREASE AND FLOUR A BUNDT PAN
POUR THE BATTER INTO BUNDT PAN AND TOP WITH
½ c CHOCOLATE CHIPS AND ½ C OF NUTS
Bake at 350 for 55 min

Thank you, Robbie! This cake was amazing!
My new favorite breakfast... almond milk, a cup of ice and a handful of Black Sphinx Dates!
If you'd like to purchase these local dates, contact me through my sweet life garden fan page.

We linked up with Sweet as Sugar Cookies to share Robbie's Date Cake with other lucky bloggers!

7 comments:

Lylah Ledner said...

I could become a full on date lover with this recipe. Lovely post Jill....

xoxo lylah

Joanne said...

Wow those look amazing! I am ashamed to say I don't think I have ever had a date before. Have to try them now! Blessings, Joanne

Lisa said...

Wow, your cake is just mouthwatering. What a treat! I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-22.html

ann said...

The cake looks so good.

OrganicMama said...

Speaking of dates, are you going to harvest yours? How do you know when to do it? We have dates too and I'm not sure how to go about picking them or when to do it.

PolkaDotGaloshes said...

Love your blog! This recipe sounds delish! I love your garden and the last post on seed saving, brilliant! Love how the kids are involved too. Looking forward to visiting your blog again...Cheers Julia

HolleyGarden said...

I absolutely love your blog! I'm quite impressed with your peaches, tomatoes, seed saving, and of course, roses! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog so I could find yours!