Thursday, July 28, 2011

Apple-licious!

One last box of slightly overripe summer apples was sitting on the kitchen table, waiting for us to make some decisions. Honestly, I was saving this batch for canning, but with outside temperatures running in the 100's, I just couldn't bring myself to start boiling that big pot of water!
Not knowing exactly what form our fuji and anna apples would take, we declared Saturday "apple day", and began to core, peel and chop. I took the first bowl of apples and started a big pot of applesauce and continued chopping. Daughter and friend slipped on grandmother's old aprons (the better to cook with my dear) and took the next batch for an apple crumble and everyone's favorite... apple turnovers.
 By the time we were finished, it ended up being pretty warm in the kitchen after all!
That's it, this year's apple harvest is over. Our beautiful little espaliered apple trees have provided us with a bounteous crop of luscious, nutrient rich food.
The trees will be given a dose of compost from the compost piles, a deep watering and a light summer pruning. By the time next year's harvest rolls around, we will once again be craving the sweet crunch of an apple! And, that's just the way it should be!


Now... we will celebrate Apple Day!

12 comments:

ann said...

Nothing better than fresh apples in good pastry, Looks like you had good help and a lot of fun.

kener said...

Love that you have lots of help. The turnovers look wonderful!

I can't help but think of crockpot apple butter.

Sweet Life Garden said...

Thank you Anne, you are so right!
Kener, I've never tried crockpot apple butter, but would love your recipe!

Lylah Ledner said...

I can almost smell those apples cooking from over here. love the post and pics....

xoxo lylah

Sweet Life Garden said...

Thank you miss Lylah!xoxo too!

Joanne said...

My mouth is watering!!! These look so good!
Blessings, Joanne

Mr. H. said...

What a fine crop of apples and those turnovers look absolutely delicious...mmm.

Nikki Green Caprara said...

Beautiful pictures! Everything looks so good.

Rooted in Atascocita said...

Yummy! Love your blog! Nice pics!

OrganicMama said...

Oh yum, Jill! These look amazing.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi,
I came to your blog earlier in the day, and now can't remember if it was from a comment on mine or another person's blog. I enjoyed reading about your apple day. You'll have plenty of apple things to enjoy for awhile.

I like the aprons, too. I have a number of them, but don't seem to wear them as often as I used to.

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Our Anna tree is giving lots of apples too! The apple tarts look soooo yummy and looks like you had fun making them too!

Hugs,
Maryjane