Monday, May 30, 2011

Everything's Peachy!

I read somewhere that there are more than 2000 varieties of peach trees! That gives us a lot to choose from. Even here in the Phoenix area we can choose from hundreds of low chill varieties. This years early summer season has been cooler than usual, the peaches that are usually ripe by the end of April are just turning, softening and sweetening now, at the very end of May!  Here's a basket of our Desert Gold and Gold Dust peaches. The colors, tastes and even the shapes are different, but both are delicious!
I like to do my summer pruning while I'm harvesting my peaches. Summer pruning is important if you want to keep your peach trees at a reasonable height. Peach trees are very vigorous growers and need to be kept under control. Trim trees into a goblet shape and take out any crossing limbs. Thin out areas where growth is too thick. After harvest I like to use my hedge clippers and bring the whole top growth down at least two or three feet.
These peaches are from our May Pride peach tree. They are a beautiful color and are juicy and red inside! They were the first to ripen this year.
If you are in my area contact me,( Jill@sweetlifegarden.com)  our neighborhood street stand will be open until our peaches are gone. By the end of the week we will be "puttin' up" peaches and turning them into our wonderful Jam!
Today, we honor our soldiers who died in the service of our Great Nation! God Bless America!
Have a wonderful day!

9 comments:

ann said...

What a harvest! Our peaches, though I do not have a peach tree, will not be ready until late August. Yum.

Lylah Ledner said...

So very lovely Jill.....I just wish I had about 20 more trees!

xoxo 'me'

Linda said...

Those look so good! Can we come by and get some tomorrow?(I guess that's today!) Ever since I made peach Jam at Caroline's Jam making class, I've been wanting to eat some fresh peaches! :)

Cecilia said...

How do you keep the birds from getting to the peaches before you do?! We have 2 peach trees loaded with fruit and the birds are winning! Looking forward to lots of Anna apples, too! BTW, we're in the Mountain Preserve area.

Sweet Life Garden said...

I know! There's a fine line between picking the fruit too early and picking it before the birds get it! You either have to use netting (which is a big bother) or get up a little before the birds (every morning) and get that fruit picked.

Jaime said...

How do you keep the bugs from eating them? I have two peach trees and the worms and bugs eat them before I can! Do you use a pesticide?

Sweet Life Garden said...

Hi Jaime, I don't use pesticides. I do use lots of organic compost around my trees and the trees get nice deep waterings. If you can make sure your trees are as healthy as possible, you'll have less problems with pests. Check out Dave wilson nurseries,they might have some ideas for your worm and bug problem.

Lilly's Farm said...

Love the intertwined tasks-picking and pruning. Beautiful fruit!

Jaime said...

Thanks, Jill! All of your fruits and vegetables look so beautiful and delicious!!