Monday, April 2, 2012

Milking the Village Goats

My mornings have been filled with spring planting, thinning peaches, chicken chores and early morning visits with Dorothy and Charlotte, the Village Goats. 
My little grandson and I walk down the street to Jack and Leah's house because Jack is letting me try my hand at milking.The plan ... should everything work out, is to get to know the girls. Then, when the time is right, Dorothy and Charlotte will have their turn at our place (and at Caroline's Boho Farm). 
We will all try to work together to give the goats a good, healthy, stable lifestyle while trying to accommodate each others schedules. While it all sounds pretty simple in words, it really is a big responsibility to take care of the needs of  these simply amazing Nigerian Dwarf Goats. Take a look at what's up at Goat Chick Farm!

Dorothy jumps on the milking stand. She is ready for her grain and alfalfa! 
 " Just roll your fingers, don't pull, let the milk come down... aim for the bowl and don't let her step in it!". These are my first instructions! 
  After awhile my fingers are getting cramps or ...something. I guess you have to build up milking muscles!
  I can hear the zing of the milk hitting the bowl on the other side. I'm just getting started... and Dorothy is ready to jump off the milking stand! I think the goal is five minutes milking time per goat. That's why you have to be fast and learn to milk with two hands (my next lesson)!

More grain please!
 While milking, we talk about how creamy the milk is, and how to make cheese. Jack reminds me to put the milk in the freezer for twenty minutes, just to cool it down.
 I think I'm getting the hang of this, but I will definitely have to find a better milking stool, because this bucket is not feeling very comfortable ...
  It's Charlotte's turn now and daughter Emma gets a lesson too. We are all in this together!

Four cups of rich, warm and wonderful goat's milk!
Is there any left for crazy Rambo?
Dorothy with Sandy and Rambo taking their turn!

Dorothy and grandson talking things over...
The goat hut. This is where the buckling's romp, sleep and wait their turn for mama's milk.
   It's pretty much like a playground/ farmyard around here! 
Leah, shows niece Ella how the kids climb to the very top of the hut, their favorite place to hang out!
Leah and Snow

                                                                      Yep, GOT MILK!


We are linked up with one of our favorite blogs, Frugally Sustainable!

5 comments:

Snooks said...

How sweet the little baby goats are. I think maybe that milking the goats looks easier then it is. But it also looks very worth it and fun.

@ 3Beeze Homestead

Kim said...

Goats! You never cease to amaze me, Jill. Also, am I suppose to thin the peaches now? I will call you this week.

SweetLand Farm said...

great post! i love milking. i have a cow though, and yes by hand. your hands build up and they don't hurt, as much. great work out for your arms actually.
the goats are cute too.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

A new adventure. So cute too. Love those goats.

Jill Roberts said...

love that you have community goats! how fun!!