Thursday, April 19, 2012

You are invited to the 2012 Spring Edible Garden Tour!

We're busy preparing the garden and orchard for the Spring Edible Garden Tour. Flowers are blooming madly in every corner! As the temperature rises, many of the flowers will fade and others will take their place by the time the tour date ( May 12th ) rolls around. I'd like to take you on a stroll this morning and share a few of the simple pleasures taking place in the garden!

Gathering and sorting eggs... today there's only one egg with a chicken peck in it!  Who did that? 
Here's Pansy, she's our  Buff Cochin. She is the oldest and sweetest chicken in the flock.

Below, " Cherry Rose " heirloom Nasturtiums. The peppery leaves and flowers of the Nasturtium plant are edible. Here's a great recipe for stuffed nasturtium flowers.
 Also, we are harvesting, rinsing and bagging the last of our winter lettuce. Then, we quickly add more compost to the boxes and plant again!
Here is a basket of parsley that I will rinse, and lay out to dry. Then we just crumble and store in a glass jar. I use it in all of my soups and stews. Herbs are easy to grow, and it's nice to have them when you need them.
Our strawberries are slowly turning from delicate white flowers to rosy red strawberries!
The Scarlet Flax was one of the first flowers to bloom this spring! We let this hardy annual go to seed to ensure it will re-seed next spring!I can't seem to keep up with the thinning of the peach trees. There are boxes and baskets under each peach tree...in case I have a moment to climb a ladder and thin a few more! And yes there's lots more (peaches) left on the tree!  
This is our new crop of Anna apples, we are thinning these too! They won't be ripe until the end of June. We can always count on making apple tarts for the fourth of July!
"Cupani's Original " antique sweet peas. This bi-colored sweet pea was named after Father Frances Cupani, the Italian monk who discovered the wild sweet pea in Sicily in the 17th century.  I ordered mine from Enchanting Sweet Peas last fall. I am sorry to say that these highly fragrant beauties are on their way to forming seed pods as we speak! I'll try to save a few seeds to share at the tour!
It's our turn to house Charlotte and her buckling Snowflake in our little backyard barn for a couple of weeks .Charlotte is an expert climber! She is the queen of the hill and from this vantage point she can keep an eye on the whole farm. We are loving that she shares her milk with us each morning!


If you're a local neighbor or live in the Phoenix area, we'd love to meet you at our Spring Edible Garden Tour. The tour consists of a handful of neighborhood urban farmers that are opening their garden gates just for you! The farmers  have worked hard to transform their properties into productive garden space that provides healthy, organic food for their families and in some cases the surrounding community. We'd like to reach out into the community and expand our circle of urban farmers and friends. Help us sow the seeds of change! 
Tickets are limited. Go to ediblegardentour.com for tickets. 
See you in the garden!

12 comments:

Joanne said...

Thanks for the peek; the colors are just gorgeopus! I keep telling my husband I want to get some chickens and he said it just would work...:O(
Blessings, Joanne

Connie Nelson said...

Oh your pictures are wonderful!It's wonderful to know that you can grow beautiful produce and roses in a desert! Is that an english rose I see in your bouquet?

Carolyn said...

Wish I could be there but rather a long way -I'll have to just enjoy the virtual tour. I def want to see more!

SweetLand Farm said...

The pictures are amazing! Can't wait to see more of the tour. I would like to make it but it's a bit too far to go!! Wish you much success!!!

Sweet Life Garden said...

Hi Girls!
Joanne, don't give up on that husband of yours!
Connie, that is a Graham Thomas, beautiful... yes!
Carolyn and SweetLand, I will post photos just for you! Wish you could be here though!

Kerin said...

Amazing gardens!
You are an inspiration!!

Love those fresh eggs. I miss our 'girls'.

We are going today to get strawberry plants from a friend... hope they transplant well.

Thank you so much for sharing with us. I love your gardens!!

Lexa said...

Wow, I certainly wish that I was closer and could come on that tour. Your flower pictures are just amazing. I could practically smell those roses! And you vegetable harvest is very impressive. Thanks for sharing!

PolkaDotGaloshes said...

Gorgeous blooms and what an abundance of veg, your garden is truly rewarding you. Mine is in rebellion and deciding to go leggy rather than grow...I look to beautiful gardens like yours to keep my garden spirit optimistic...great post!! Cheers Julia

Pat said...

Your tour sounds wonderful! I invite you to share it with my readers at my Events page: http://www.edible-landscape-design.com/edible-landscaping-events.html

This ensures that the details are correct. You can add photos and a link to the event as well.

Gardeningbren said...

A spring edible garden tour sounds like something I would love to attend (but too far away). What a busy and vibrant garden you have. The post on the baby goats birth was very touching.

Cecilia said...

How I wish I could come! I'll be doing the farmers market instead. Have a wonderful day!
Cecilia

Hitchhiker42 said...

That is a fantastic goat! I love how you've put astroturf on the sawhorse for her. haha