Thursday, February 3, 2011

Remains of the Day

Baby, it's cold outside! Most of my garden flowers are covered with frost cloth. They've been that way for three nights now. I haven't lifted the cover once to check on them. I'm afraid to! I've only seen parts of limp, dangling little petunia and pansy leaves peeking from beneath their wind blown cover. But ... the roses, not to worry about the hearty roses. They are thriving and waiting their turn to be pruned. These are my Evelyn roses, just a couple of weeks ago. All blooms are cut (these beauties don't go in the compost!) and each old leaf is stripped. The canes are thinned, the dead and twiggy canes are removed and a small amount of slow release rose food is added with a good, deep watering. As the warm days arrive, little green leaves will be popping out all over! A nice thought on this cold February night.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jill, Wheras a blanket of snow can be so beneficial to many garden plants, frost cover is altogether more destructive so I do hope that your cherished blooms will be spared. The colour of the Evelyn roses is delicious. Such a delicate baby pink...but they are very tough and will, I am sure be unscather by this brutal weather you are having.

Boho Farm and Home said...

Oh Jill, I know...I am afaid also to peel back the frost cloth and see the damage too! What plant can bear 3 days of 20 degree temps.
Your roses look beautiful!
xo, Caroline

Jill Roberts said...

they are so beautiful!!

Lylah Ledner said...

they are lovely!

Kim said...

You style and snap the most gorgeous pics!

fer said...

wow they look amazing! that basket must smell like heaven

Sweet Life Garden said...

Thank you for your comments!I wish you could all stop by for tea. They do smell wonderful and that is my favorite color of pink!