Sunday, February 22, 2009

I suppose I should tell you the truth. You know, those heirloom tomatoes that were reaching for the sun? Well, I watered them with a small amount of diluted fish emulsion and they didn't really like it! I think I burnt them. The leaves look pretty crisp. I have planted new seeds, but they are not coming up as fast as my first batch. I am hoping that with a few warm days things will speed up. On the bright side, I have harvested my brussels sprouts, and I have lots of spinach and beets that are ready to pick. I need to make room for the tomato transplants that I bought from a neighbor a couple of weeks ago. He started his seeds around Thanksgiving in his small greenhouse. His plants are five or six inches tall, they look like they are ready to take off. I used to think that you didn't need a greenhouse in Phoenix, now I can see that it would be so much easier to have a place to keep everything together. My dining room table seems to be outgrowing its new purpose! But, I don't think my husband is ready to build a greenhouse yet. He is just getting over the fact that we might need to expand the chicken house!

1 comment:

rachelbess said...

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear about your tomato seedlings! I think it is probably too late to start them from seed. On the bright side, there are still a bunch at Baker's and the downtown farmer's market. Good Luck!